All hiring for your project, whether employee or consultant/independent contractor*, requires prior approval from Community Partners.
Most workers should be classified as employees, not independent contractors. For more information about how to determine whether someone might qualify as a contractor, please click here.
Please keep the following in mind:
- A current and active contract is required for any contractor or consultant who provides services totaling $1,000 or more.
- Check requests received for payments to contractors/consultants who do not have a current and active contract will be held until the contract is executed.
- Contracts are not required for independent contractors/consultants who are expected to be paid less than $1,000. However, if at any point total payments to a contractor/consultant exceed $1,000, check requests for those payments will be held until a contract is completed.
We are now requiring W-9 forms for ALL non-employees as the IRS may impose fines for missing tax information. In addition:
- A completed (and legible) signed W-9 form must be on file for any independent contractor or consultant, regardless of the amount or the number of times paid during a calendar year.
- A W-9 is also required for anyone receiving the following types of payments in a calendar year:
- Rent/leases of property/equipment rental
- Legal fees
*For the protection of all parties involved, contractors/consultants should not begin working until all required documents are submitted to Community Partners.