While Community Partners does not have a specific written guide for managers, the following suggestions are offered on basic employee supervision:
- Be clear and specific about your expectations
- Communicate with your team and employees - share information widely
- Prioritize listening - don’t just instruct
- Be quick and direct when addressing conflicts, sensitive issues, or performance problems
- Don’t confuse authority with leadership - be open minded and try to understand others' needs
- Work from a "we, not me" analysis - what does the team need?
- Look for and point out others' potential
- Spread positivity - avoid complaining to your subordinates
- Don’t ignore your team - work with them, not exclusively away from them (don’t always close your door)
For more specific ideas, suggestions, and best practices please reach out to the Community Partners HR team. The HR team is here to support you and your success as a supervisor. The team is skilled at helping you work through your supervisorial issues and can provide a variety of resources to help guide you through specific employee supervision questions and issues. The team can be reached at hr@CommunityPartners.org or by calling 213-346-3200 and asking to speak to the HR team.
Community Partners also offers a supervisor training workshop several times a year. Look out for announcements of future trainings by email and on the project portal.